Wednesday, November 23, 2011
Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, by Prof. W. W. Clayton, J. W.
Lewis & Co., Philadelphia, 1880, Reproduced by Higginson book Company, 1996,
"The Long Hunters"
The following account of the "Long Hunters" was taken, by Prof. Clayton,
from Ramsey's "Annals of Tennessee":
"On the 2d of June, 1769, a large company of adventurers was formed for the
purpose of hunting and exploring in what is now Middle Tennessee. As the
country was discovered and settled by the enterprise and defended by the valor
of these first explorers, we choose to give their names, the places from which
they came, and such details of their hazardous journeyings as have been
"May the time never come when the self-sacrificing toil and the daring
hardihood of the pioneers of Tennessee will be forgotten or undervalued by
their posterity. The company consisted of more than twenty men, some of them
from North Carolina, others from the neighborhood of the Natural Bridge, and
others from the infant settlement near Inglis' Ferry in Virginia. The names
of some of them follow: John Rains, Kasper Mansker, Abraham Bledsoe, John
Baker, Joseph Drake, Obadiah Terrill, Uriah Stone, Henry Smith, Ned Cowan,
Robert Crockett. The place of rendezvous was eight miles below Fort Chissel
on New River. They came by the head of Holston, and crossing the north fork,
Clinch and Powell's Rivers, and passing through Cumberland Gap, discovered the
southern part of Kentucky, and fixed a station-camp at a place since called
Price's Meadow, in Wayne County, where they agreed to deposit their game and
skins. The hunters here dispersed in different directions, the whole company
still traveling to the southwest. They came to Roaring River and the Cany
fork at a point far above the mouth and somewhere near the foot of the
mountain. Robert Crockett was killed near the head- waters of Roaring River
when returning to the camp, provided for two or three days' traveling; the
Indians were there in ambush and fired upon and killed him. The Indians were
traveling to the north, seven or eight in company. Crockett's body was found
on the war-track leading from the Cherokee Nation towards the Shawnee tribe.
All the country through which these hunters passed was covered with high
grass; no traces of any human settlement could be seen, and the primeval
state of things reigned in unrivaled glory, though under dry caves, on the
side of creeks, they found many places where stones were set up that covered
large quantities of human bones; these were also found in the caves, with
which the country abounds. They continued to hunt eight or nine months, when
part of them returned in April 1770.
"The return of Findley and Boone to the banks of the Yadkin, and of the
explorers whose journal has just been given to their several homes, produced a
remarkable sensation. Their friends and neighbors were enraptured with the
glowing descriptions of the delightful country they had discovered, and their
imaginations were inflamed with the account of the wonderful products which
were yielded in such bountiful profusion. The sterile hills and rocky uplands
of the Atlantic country began to lose their interest when compared with the
fertile valleys beyond the mountains. A spirit of further exploration was
thus excited in the settlements on New River, Holston, and Clinch, which
originated an association of about forty stout hunters, for the purpose of
hunting and trapping west of Cumberland Mountains. Equipped with their
rifles, traps, dogs, blankets, and dressed in the hunting shirt, leggins, and
moccasins, they commenced their arduous enterprise in the real spirit of
hazardous adventure, through the rough forest and rugged hills. The names of
these adventurers are not now known. The expedition was led by Col. James
Knox. The leader and nine others of the company penetrated to the lower
Cumberland, and making there an extensive and irregular circuit, adding much
to their knowledge of the country, after a long absence returned home. They
are known as the "Long Hunters.' "
Sunday, November 20, 2011
Click for a slide show of Nashville Christmas Past
Friends of Metro Archives
The Friends of Metro Archives website was designed to be a comprehensive guide for historical and genealogical research for Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee. The site contains many indexes and abstracts of records housed at the Metro Nashville Archives. These records were compiled into databases, through the efforts of staff and volunteers. Indexes include those to marriage records, birth and death records, will books, and military records. Among the records that have been abstracted are court minute books, guardian minute books, cemetery records and school annual reports. There are historical essays published on the site on topics ranging from the first bridge across the Cumberland River, a history of the evolution of the Nashville Public Square to a Nashville Christmas tradition, Spice Round. Several historical publications, now in the public domain, can be read on the site. There are links to other sites and applications that will assist a researcher of Davidson County history or people. Check often for updates to the site.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Resolved by the City Council of Nashville, That the Mayor be and he is hereby authorized and instructed to appoint a Spring Keeper for the Public Spring in the 7th Ward of the City of Nashville and that the Committee repair the pump.
Resolved by the Board of Aldermen of Nashville, That the repairs or improvements necessary to be done upon the Alley running from Union to Deaderick Street, known as “Hog Alley” be and the same is hereby referred to the City Engineer, with instructions to report to best mode of improvement or repairs, with Specifications, Profiles, etc. to the next Meeting of this Board.
City Hall, Nashville, October 23, 1860
Mr. Meigs presented and read a Petition signed by Samuel J. Carter, Samuel E. Hare, and others in relation to the Tax on Hotels, and praying for a reduction of the same. Received and referred to the Finance Committee.
City Hall, Nashville, November 6, 1860
Mr. Meigs presented and read a petition from Mary M. Wetterall asking permission to build a frame house on her lot situated at the corner of Summer and Jefferson Streets, on the South Side of Jefferson, with a view of residing there, that she may send her children to the Free Schools of the City. Petition received and prayer of the same granted.
He also presented and read a petition signed by Turner S. Foster and others praying the City Council to open an Alley 15 feet wide from Spring Street to Union Street, in place of McLemore Street, which was closed by the Chancery Court of Davidson County. Petition received and referred to the Street Committee.
City Hall, Nashville, December 25, 1860
The Bill “To establish and regulate a Detective Police,” was read the first time and passed.
Mr. Meigs introduced a Bill “To establish and regulate a Pest House,” which was passed on three Several Readings under a Suspension of the Rule.
City Hall, Nashville, February 12, 1861
Resolved by the City Council of Nashville, that W. B. Heron be allowed the sum of Twenty Dollars for service as Policeman ten nights.
City Hall, Nashville, February 23, 1861
The Committee through Mr. Craighead reported the following preamble and resolution.
Whereas the City Council of Nashville have heard with profound regret, the death of the late Ex Mayor of this City, the Honorable S. N. Hollingsworth, who departed this life on Friday night last, on board the Steamer James Johnson, on his return home from a trip South; and whereas, as a member of the Board of Aldermen and subsequent Mayor, he faithfully and conscientiously discharged the duties and trusts confided to him and gave general satisfaction to the Citizens of Nashville.
City Hall, Nashville, March 12, 1861
Mr. Cox introduced a Bill “To establish and organize Hook & Ladder Company No. 1,” which was passed on three several readings under a Suspension of the Rule.
City Hall, Nashville, March 26, 1861
Mr. Hurley introduced a Bill “To authorize the Slave Committee to purchase the necessary clothing for the Corporation Slaves,” which was passed on three several Readings under a Suspension of the Rule.
City Hall, Nashville, April 9, 1861
Mr. Cox also presented as chairman of the Committee on Fire Department, the Report of the Chief of the Fire Department in answer to a resolution adopted by the City Council, as to the difference in the cost between the Volunteer System and the paid Fire Department, etc. which was read and received.
The Resolution to authorize the Mayor to employ competent Physicians to vaccinate the indigent children in the Public Schools was read and referred to the Finance Committee.
City Hall, Nashville, April 19, 1861
The Bill “To authorize the laying down of 8 inch water pipe on College Street from Broad Street to the Public Square,” was read the second time, when Mr. Cox withdrew his amendment to the Bill, and it then passed.
City Hall, Nashville, May 7, 1861
Mr. Jackson, Chairman [of the] Wharf Committee presented the report of the Wharf Master, showing collections made by him since his last of $523.77, less commissions with the receipts of the Treasurer for that amount filed.
Mr. Cox, Chairman [of the] Committee on Fire Department, presented the report of the Chief of the Fire Department for the month of April, which was read and received.
Mr. Hurley from the Cemetery Committee presented the report of the Sexton for the month of April, which was read and received. The report shows 37 Internments during the month, 28 Whites and 9 Blacks, 30 from the City and 7 from other places.
Mr. Meigs from the Pest House Committee presented the report of the Physician of that Institution, giving a statement of the number of patients received since the commencement, the number discharged as cured, the number of deaths and the number remaining now under medical treatment, which was read and received.
City Hall, Nashville, June 11, 1861
Resolved by the City Council that Samuel Levick be allowed to erect steps in front of his House, corner of Cherry Street and Chitton Alley as prayed for in his petition, the same however to be no material obstruction to those passing on the pavement.
City Hall, Nashville, August 8th, 1861
Resolved by the City Council that the Market House Committee be and is hereby authorized to have made a lot of benches for the use of the Vegetable Marketers to be placed on the outside of the present Stalls, which is not to exceed the sum of fifty dollars.
Mr. Love offered the following Resolution, which was adopted.
More to come …
Monday, November 14, 2011
|Name||Business Type||Business Place||Date|
201 Berry St.
Mrs. M. Quinlan
Mrs. L.A. Lanier
Mrs. Mary Coffey
Saloon & Grocery
Lishey Ave. [corn. Berry]
Mrs. Mary Coffey
Lishey Ave. [corn. Berry]
Parker & Koester
156 N. First
3rd & Foster
Mrs. M.C. Bond
Meridian [corn. Arrington]
Mrs. S.E. Wood
39 No. First St.
H.E. & J.T. Peach
48 No. First St.
No. Second St.
201 Meridian St.
Harrison & Johnson
Whites Creek & Dickerson Pike
|Grocery||10th & Woodland||[blank] 4-30-1895|
J.O. Burge & Co.
5th & Woodland St.
Mrs. Jane E. Dyer
Foster & Smily
7th & Woodland
| 1st -- |
Josephine St. [now Grace]
E.H. Vaughan & Co.
707 Main St.
Mrs. Ella Rankin
|Grocery||Hancock St. ||1-5-1895|
James F. Miller
|Grocery||74 No. 2nd||1-14-1895|
|Grocery||First & Spring||1-16-1895|
Mrs. Dona Meyer
|Grocery||6th & Ramsey||1-18-1895|
|Grocery||102 No. First||1-25-1895|
|Genl. Mdse.||No. First||1-31-1895|
Cunningham & Kelly
|Grocery||Lishey & Arrington St.||2-18-1895|
|Furniture||537 Main St.||2-18-1895|
|Grocery||3rd & Josephine St.||2-22-1895|
|Coal Oil||118 Foster St.||3-11-1895|
|Coal Oil||Truetland St.||3-26-1895|
|Grocery||148 No. First||4-1-1895|
Geo. W. Steele & Co.
|Collar Mfg.||3-- Steele St.||4-17-1895|
No. First St.
Whites Creek Pike
Whites Creek Pike
|45 North Second|
|29 No. First St.|
2nd & Foster
Mrs. Mary Coffey
J.L. Phillips & Son
John Connelly Grocery
North 2nd St.
Mrs. Jane Dyer
201 Meridian St.