As the community grew eastward, toward today's Lockeland neighborhood and Shelby Park, the original land grants of Daniel Williams, Turner Williams and William Overall became a part of East Nashville. Lockeland School is on the site of a log fortification known as William's Station. Daniel Williams, Sr., who was granted 640 acres by North Carolina, was appointed as the first sheriff of Davidson County in 1783. Shelby Park proper, is laid out over a portion of the land of Daniel and Turner Williams and William Overall. Shelby Bottoms is on land originally surveyed for John Rice, William Murray and Green Hill. Though Shelby Park's land was never owned by Dr. John Shelby it was named for him, as was Shelby Avenue. He had been one of the area's most well known and respected residents.
Robert Weakley purchased Daniel William's property and David Vaughn bought the land of Turner Williams early in the 19th century. Descendants of both men lived in the area, for the next 100 years. Eastland Avenue was once the lane to the Vaughn property and was known as Vaughn Pike. The Lockeland neighborhood took it's name from the home that was built by Robert Weakley in 1810. Weakley named his home in honor of his wife, Jane Locke Weakley, and her family.
|North Carolina Grants in McLean's Bend [East Nashville] Drawn by Samuel A. Weakley|
TSLA Accession Number 1330
Torward the east side of Gallatin Pk and north of Shelby Park lay the grants of James Sanders Sr. William Carvin, John Evans, and Sampson Williams[17A]. This land comprises most of the Inglewood and South Inglewood communities. Carvin was an early casualty. He was working in a field on his land, in August of 1780 when he was attacked by Native Americans. His wife, at their nearby camp, heard the gun shots and hid in tall cane with her three small children. After dark she made her way toward the Bluff Station at Nashville. Read more about the history of Inglewood here. To the south and north of Briley Pkwy on both the east and west sides of Gallatin Pk was the land granted to the heirs of Alexander Buchanan. Buchanan was killed at the Battle of the Bluff at Nashville in 1781. His grant was claimed by his brother Major John Buchanan and later was the property of the first preacher, to settle in Davidson County, Thomas Craighead. Much of the property today is covered by Spring Hill Cemetery. William Cocke[18A] was the grant holder of the land east of Spring Hill Cemetery that runs along the Cumberland River. This soon became the property of Robert Hays, brother in law to Andrew Jackson. It was on this land that the town of Haysboro was built. James Scott[18B] was the owner of the northern most grant on the map.
East Nashville - Early land holders by Debie Oeser Cox is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.