The Historic Blue Grass Line
A Review Of The History Of Davidson
And Sumner Counties,
Sketches of Places and Events
the Route Of The
GALLATIN INTERURBAN RAILWAY
By James Douglas Anderson
Originally Published by the NASHVILLE-GALLATIN INTERURBAN RAILWAY,
Nashville, Tennessee. 1913
IV. INCIDENTS BY THE WAY - Continued. From Cumberland River to Mansker's Creek.The 16th Illinois Regiment arrived in Nashville September 15, 1863, and was stationed north of the railroad bridge to protect that and rolling stock from destruction by the Confederates. Gen. Morgan, while marching from Hopkinsville to Gallatin to destroy the L & N railroad bridge in that vicinity, received an order from Gen. John C. Breckinridge, then at Murfreesboro, to co-operate with Gen. Forrest in destroying the rolling stock in East Nashville. While Forrest made a demonstration south of the city to attract the garrison, Morgan was to dash into Edgefield and burn the cars, several hundred in number. Leaving Gallatin on the night of November 4, Morgan entered Edgefield at daybreak, drove the Illinois regiment back and got possession of the cars. At this time, as agreed upon, Morgan heard Forrest's artillery on the south. But Nashville was too well fortified and Forrest's force was too small to make danger apparent at that point, and before Morgan could destroy the cars a long column of infantry filed double-quick across the pontoon bridge and Morgan withdrew, his expedition being a failure.
South Edgefield and Dr. John Shelby. - The greater part of South Edgefield through which the Interurban passes is built on a 640 acre tract pre-empted by James Shaw, one of the leading men in the little colony of 1780. The northern boundary started at a point opposite the mouth of Lick Branch and ran in an easterly or southwesterly direction a mile or more. The river was the southern and western boundary.
In 1789 Shaw sold the tract to David Shelby, a King's Mountain soldier and, at the time of purchase, County Court Clerk of Sumner County. Three hundred pounds was the price paid. It was later owned by Dr. John Shelby, son of David Shelby and grandson of Anthony Bledsoe. John Shelby was the first child born in Sumner County, and was a surgeon in Jackson's campaign.
Dr. Shelby's residence stood in what is now the center of Woodland Street between Second and Third. For each of his daughters he built a fine residence - "Boscobel," now Boscobel college, and "Fatherland," now owned by H. L. Sperry. These homes gave names to two Edgefield Streets.
Shelby's first addition, on the north side of Gallatin pike, was the first plan of lots (1849) laid off in East Nashville. According to the late Judge Barry, of Gallatin, Shelby owed the Planters Bank $20,000 and tried to get the bank to take the 640 acres for the debt. Failing in this he adopted the suggestion of a subdivision into lots the sale more than paid the debt.
The L. & N. Celebrates. - In September, 1859, the coming of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad was celebrated by a great gathering and speech making in Ramsey's Grove, north of Main Street and by a ball at the courthouse that night .
Rev. T. O. Summers, one of the most learned men in Southern Methodism lived for many years at 225 Woodland, and Bishop H. N. McTyeire in the house now on the southwest corner of Woodland and Sixth. Judge Jo. C. Guild lived nearby on Russell Street.
Bate Residence. - The residence owned and occupied by Gen. Wm. B. Bate when he was Governor is on Russell Street (north side, third door west of Eighth.
Neil S. Brown Home. - Looking north from Ninth Street may be seen what is left of the former beautiful home and grounds of Neil S. Brown, a sergeant-major in the Florida wars; several times elector; a party leader; Governor at 37, in 1847; Minister to Russia at 40, in 1850; legislator, lawyer and scholar.
Woodlawn. - A quarter mile north of the Brown residence on a hill above a rock spring-house , is a cottage where stood for many years before the war "Woodlawn," the home of Rev. J. B. McFerrin. .
Hobson's Chapel. - On the northeast corner of Woodland and Tenth Streets, Hobson Chapel, a Methodist Church, was erected about 1850, in the center of a wealthy and well-populated community.
On Sunday morning, February 16, 1862, while Rev. J. B. McFerrin was preaching at Hobson's Chapel, news was sent to the congregation that Fort Donelson had fallen, that all women and children must be taken out of Nashville and vicinity. The benediction was then pronounced for the last time in Hobson's Chapel. During the war the church was used as a slaughter house, after the war as a school house. James Anderson conducted a flourishing school here for several years, and after his removal to Sumner County in 1870, its successful career was continued by A. L. Mims and George Hughes.
F. E. Pitts Home - About 200 feet east of the [Gallatin] pike, and about 100 feet north of the present home of Joseph Edwards, stood the home of Fountain E. Pitts, a popular preacher in his day. This 38-acre tract was purchased from John D. Goss by Nicholas Hobson and presented to Mr. Pitts, as trustee, for his wife, in recognition of his great devotion and self-sacrificing labors for Methodism.
Hinton's Tavern - North of Greenwood Avenue, and on the east side of the pike, stands the residence of B. R. McKennie, a well-known newspaper publisher, of the ante-bellum period. Before the house was built, the land was owned by Jeremiah Hinton, who had a tavern stable where the McKennie front yard now is. Hinton's two story log tavern was on the west side of the pike, a few feet north of the present residence of his grandson, Dr. J. B. Talbot, a descendant of Clayton Talbot.
In the spring of 1821, when Judge Guild was "footing it" to Nashville to study law, he says: After stopping to see Judge Trimble, I continued my walk towards Nashville, and stopped overnight at Hinton's tavern, three miles from the city. Mr. Hinton was a kind old man, and learning the object of my visit to Nashville did not charge me anything." .
New Hope - A Methodist Church called New Hope was built in 1820, about thirty or forty feet from the southeastern intersection of the present Straightway Street and the Gallatin pike, two blocks north of Hinton's tavern. It was a small frame, about twenty feet square. "Here the Weakleys, the Vaughns, the Maxeys, and others, had their memberships." (Note - McFerrin's "Methodism in Tennessee.") New Hope gave way to Hobson's Chapel. James Anderson conducted a school there before the war, drawing his patronage from the same people who supported his school at Hobson's Chapel after the war. The house was torn down about twenty years ago.
Peacock Feathers Saved Mrs. Stull - The homes of Percy Warner and W. B. Franklin, on the west side of the pike, and the land opposite was acquired by Zachariah Stull in 1788. The first Stull house stood a few feet south of the present Franklin residence, remnants still being visible.
On one occasion Mrs. Stull was warned to hasten to Fort Nashborough, but before she could get away an Indian was in her house. Her life was probably saved by a bunch of peacock feathers; upon seeing these the Indian took them and went his way. Mrs. Stull's son, George, built the present residence, but he could never persuade his mother to leave her log house and live in the brick.
This part, about 60 acres of the original Stull grant, is still owned by one of his descendants.
Where Asbury and McKendree Stopped. - "Mr. William Maxey, the father of the late John Maxey and P. W. Maxey, Esq., long lived in the vicinity of New Hope." (McFerrin's Methodism in Tennessee.) "His house was the home of the ministers of Christ, and was a favorite stopping place with Bishop Asbury and Bishop McKendree."
This house, built in 1801, still stands on the south side of Maxey Lane, a few hundred yards from the Interurban. It has two rooms down stairs, and two half rooms up stairs. It is the oldest house in this section, and when first built sheltered about the usual number of children for that time - thirteen. Ten of them were born in Virginia.
As both these distinguished churchmen, Asbury and McKendree, when traveling to and from Conferences, were compelled to spend most of their nights sleeping on the ground, their only shelter being a blanket hung over a low limb, they doubtless found in Brother Maxey's story and a half frame mansion - in spite of the trundle beds - a restful change from their nightly experiences.
Thus lived two humble Methodist preachers, who, with Bishop Whatcoat, held a congregation of 1,000 at the Stone Church in Nashville, October 19, 1800 when Nashville had less that 400 population.
Mrs. Wm. Maxey claimed descent from Pocahontas, hence the name of her son, Powhatan.
The Carvin Grant - North of the Maxey lane, fronting the pike, is the large frame house built about 1850 by Powhaten W. Maxey, once Mayor of Nashville.
In May, 1780, Ned Carvin was killed by the Indians at or near the river bluff in the rear of the Wm. Williams' lands. His wife and two children escaped to Nashborough. Later in that year Mrs. Carvin and Edward Swanson made one of the four couples that were married at the same time by James Shaw at the Nashborough Fort.
At the Battle of the Bluffs, April 2, 1781, Mrs. Swanson came very near being left a widow again. Her husband, while retreating to the Fort, has been clubbed to his all-fours by an Indian, when John Buchanan rushed from the Fort to his relief.
Under the pre-emption laws, William Carvin, as heir of Edward Carvin, was entitled to a "640" which he laid off in 1784. He died in 1808, leaving the land to Edward Swanson, Polly Swanson, his mother and Nancy Rutherford, his sister.
Kenmore is part of this 640 acre tract, being purchased by Powhatan Maxey about 1848.
Williams and Baxter - William Williams, a graduate of Harvard in 1799, came to Nashville in 1804, purchased the John Evans grant, and built the house next north of Inglewood. Mr. Williams was a lawyer. He and Joseph Story, the youngest man ever appointed to the Supreme Bench of the United States, were life-long correspondents after their friendship at Harvard. Most of the original Evans grant is still owned by the Williams heirs.
Josiah Williams, a son of William Williams, owned Maplewood (or part of it), before the civil war. Maplewood first came into the public eye when the late Jere Baxter bought it about 1884, and engaged in fancy farming.
Haysboro - On the river bluff, a short distance east of Spring Hill Cemetery, David Hays established Fort Union in 1780. Haysboro is said to have been a rival of Nashborough at one time, but there is no record of its population, except in 1834, when it was "on the Lexington road, containing about half a dozen families." The change in the turnpike route in 1839 merely hastened the end of the little city, doomed from the first. There are few marks of its former glory, but they are worth the short walk necessary to see them. Col. Hays, founder of Haysboro, was a colleague of Robertson in the North Carolina Legislature of 1787, and was well worthy of a more permanent memorial as a public spirited citizen.
First Church and First School - In 1785 Rev. Thomas (Note. - Not Thomas B.) Craighead came to this section, "preached at Nashville and some of the stations, or forts, and neighborhoods," and, "at the earnest request of the citizens, he fixed his residence near Haysboro, or rather at Spring Hill." (Note. - Buntin)
A church was built for him at "once" - 1785, or possibly 1786. It stood on the knoll a few feet north of the southern entrance to Spring Hill Cemetery, and within a few feet of the concrete wall. This was the first church erected west of the Cumberland Mountains. It was made of rough stone and was about 24x30 feet.
Davidson Academy was chartered by an Act of the North Carolina Legislature December 29, 1785. Representative James Robertson, of Davidson, procured the passage of this Act, and at his request Craighead consented that his name be included in the Act as one of the trustees. Another trustee was Anthony Bledsoe.
At the first meeting of the Board of Trustees, held on August 19, 1786, Craighead was elected president. At the next meeting, September 25, 1786, the trustees ordered that the school, Davidson Academy, be taught at "Spring Hill Meeting House, and Craighead taught its first class." (Buntin). This was the first school in Tennessee west of the Cumberland Mountains.
Davidson Academy later became Cumberland College, then the University of Nashville, then Peabody College for Teachers; so the little stone church at Spring Hill was the birthplace of the Peabody College to be continued near Vanderbilt University.
For some time while Craighead had charge of the little stone church Andrew Jackson boarded about four miles to the north and tradition says Jackson attended services here and that here was formed the strong ties of friendship manifest in after years between Craighead and Jackson. Jackson was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Academy while Craighead taught it, and in after years was credited with having brought as abrupt close to the long existing differences between Craighead and the Presbyterian Church.
The members of Davidson Academy were transferred to Cumberland College in September, 1806 or 1807. Craighead was President of Cumberland College two years and three months, retiring in 1809. He then resumed teaching at the church. Judge Guild shows that he went to school at Craighead's Academy about 1818. The late David T. Stratton attended school there in 1845, twenty years after Craighead's death.
In its first days pupils from Nashville made daily trips over a slow ferry and a dirt road-high water and deep mud. There is no record of the attendance.
A road from the stone church going east connected school and church with the public road at Haysboro and made both church and school a part of the Haysboro settlement.
The Old Craighead Home. - Craighead owned several tracts of land at Spring Hill. On one of these tracts - 640 acres-purchased from John Buchanan, grantee, in 1794, Craighead in that year, built the residence which was burned in 1910 and since duplicated, the old walls being used in the new house. Madison Stratton, who owned this 640-acres tract in 1845, set out the trees seen in the yard. In 1871 it was purchased by Capt. William B. Walton, who organized and commanded a company in the Mexican War, and is now the home of his widow.
Spring Hill Cemetery. - Mr. Craighead gave ten acres east of his church to the community to be used as a burial ground. His and his wife's remains are buried here, as are the remains of many old settlers.
The National Cemetery is part of the 640-acre Buchanan-Craighead tract previously referred to. Here are buried about 17,000 Federal soldiers, who met death in this section during the war between the North and the South.
Neely's Lick and Neely's Bend. - The road leading to the east from the pike at City Road Chapel (Madison) is the route to Neely's Bend ferry, six miles away, and to Neely's Lick (now Larkin's Springs), three miles away. Both Bend and Lick take their name from William Neely.
In the spring of 1780, when the attempt to make salt at Mansker's Lick had failed, it was determined to make the experiment at Neely's Lick in Neely's Bend." (Note.-Putnam.)
Neely had helped to build Mansker's fort and had been living with his family at Mansker's. He and one daughter accompanied the men from Mansker's to watch the experiment and help - he by killing game and she by cooking for the party.
Their camps were near the spring. Late one afternoon while all the workmen and the dogs were away from the camp, Neely came in from a hunt with a deer on his shoulder, put it aside and lay down and went to sleep. His daughter was busily engaged about supper. Several gun shots; Neely raised himself half up, groaned and fell back dead. The Indians rushed in and scalped him and grabbed the terrified girl and kept her going on a dead run all night until a Creek encampment was reached, thence to the Creek nation. When the salt makers got to the camp they knew not which way to go in search of the Indians, but they knew the way to Mansker's and they were there at daylight. A party, after following the trail far enough to learn, in their pioneer way, that the girl was not hurt, took Mansker's advice and abandoned the pursuit lest she be killed. She was released a few years later, married and lived in Kentucky. In 1788 William Neely's widow was killed by the Indians near Neely's Lick, and Robert Edmondson's arm was broken, but he escaped by hiding.
About twenty years ago when Mr. Larkin bought this spring tract he sunk a shaft twenty feet or more into the side of the river bank, about forty or fifty feet from low water mark, and struck a cedar basin, probably the work of some earlier settler.
Hall Lane gets its name from the Hall family, descendants of William Neely. The brick house on Hall Lane, built by William Neely, Jr., about 1808, stood until the spring of 1912.
Skirmish at Madison. - A skirmish between Col. George Dibrell's Regiment, C. S. A., and a squad of Federals took place northeast of the corner of Neely's Bend Road and the pike. Dibrell formed his lines between the present Reavis residence and the pike and withdrew toward Neely's Lick. Most of the firing was done near where the Confederates had camped for the night, northeast of the Reavis residence. A Confederate named Goosetree was killed.
The Bishop Soule Residence. - The old house west of the pike and north of Hall Lane was once the home of "Jimmie" Thomas, who had a saddle shop in his yard, and made all the saddles used in this section. John W. Thomas, Sr., President of the N., C. & St. L., Ry., was then young and lived here with his father. Later Harry Hill, the merchant prince of Nashville and New Orleans, gave the place to Bishop Soule. Bishop Soule was "a profound preacher," says McFerrin's "Methodism in Tennessee," "a sound theologian, a wise legislator and was thoroughly versed in Methodist law and usage. Now that he has gone to his reward, it is the deliberate opinion of the author that the American Church never produced his superior. He was as firm as he was wise, and would have sacrificed his life rather than compromise the principals of truth and righteousness."
While living here Bishop Soule was called upon for the loan of a plow by a young farmer living nearby. When told that he could get the plow the young man started away, saying he would send a servant for it. Shortly after the young farmer reached his premises the aged and gray-haired Bishop, with the plow on his shoulder, walked in, and in the kindest and most pleasant manner, out down the plow. (Note. - Christian Advocate editorial when Bishop McTyeire was editor.)
The first City Road Chapel stood east of the pike, about opposite the Soule residence.
P. Gee's Tavern. - Across the pike from the Charles T. Williams residence (the boyhood home of Judge Matt W. Allen) stood Peter Gee's Tavern.
Jack Gee's Tavern. - On the west side of the pike at Amqui where Philip Rutherford now lives, stood the old Jack Gee Tavern, a famous establishment in state coach times. One day in November, 1862, Rosecrans' Army came down the pike with a torch and neither of these Taverns has been seen since.
Where Andrew Jackson Was Introduced to Mrs. Robards. - After the attack by the Indians on the party headed by Capt. John Donelson, Jr., on Stones River, in the autumn of 1780, Col. John Donelson carried out his previously formed plan of taking his family from Mansker's Station (whither they had gone from Clover Bottom) to Kentucky. Here, in the spring of 1784, Rachel Donelson, aged 17, married Lewis Robards.
In 1785 Mrs. Donelson and her family returned to Mansker's Station and Col. Donelson was on his way from Kentucky to join them when he was assassinated.
In 1788, and for several years thereafter, Mrs. Donelson and family were located at the place since known as the William Donelson home, where the Goodlettsville road intersects with the Gallatin pike. To this place Samuel Donelson brought his sister, Mrs. Robards, in the summer or fall of 1788, after Mrs. Donelson had received a letter from Robards requesting that she take her daughter home.
Young John Overton, while studying law in Kentucky, boarded at the home of Lewis Robards; mother, where Lewis and his wife lived. About the time he finished his studies, in the winder of 1788-9, Overton announced his intention of coming to this section, whereupon Lewis Robards' mother urged young Overton to try and effect a reconciliation between her son and his wife. To this Lewis himself agreed, stating that his former jealousy had been without foundation.
In February or March 1789, Overton applied at Mrs. Donelson's home for board and was taken in.
Andrew Jackson had only recently arrived in Nashville and Overton, after forming his acquaintance, introduced him into the Donelson family at this place. "So it was, " says Overton, "we commenced boarding thereabout the same time, Jackson and myself, our friends and clients occupying on cabin and the family another, two steps from it."
Mrs. Robards agreed to rejoin her husband and ir was arranged for them to stay at Mrs. Donelson's until a cessation of Indian hostilities should make it safe to make their home on a pre-emption previously purchased by Robards, five miles away, south of the Cumberland, and now owned by Millard Turner. In pursuance of this plan Robards rejoined his wife at Mrs. Donelson's sometime in 1789. Jackson and Mrs. Robards were then twenty-two years of age, Jackson being only four months her senior.
A few months after Robards arrived he became jealous of Jackson, as he had been of Short, in Kentucky. Overton, feeling that his agency in the reconciliation gave him a right to make it permanent, remonstrated with Robards, but to no purpose. Jackson assented to Overton's proposition that they go elsewhere, but there was no where else to go. Then Jackson, meeting Robards by a orchard fence, near the house, very foolishly tried to pacify Robards, which, of course, made Robards more firmly fixed in his convictions, and Jackson got roundly abused for his kindness. Robards threatened to whip him and wanted to have it out then and there. Jackson declined, for lack of physical strength, but offered to give him gentlemanly satisfaction. Jackson then went into his cabin and when he came out again Robards was there with another round of abuse for Jackson and Mrs. Robards. The next day Jackson left and went to Mansker's Station. Robards continued to live with his wife several months longer, then went back to Kentucky. Mrs. Robards went to live with her sister, Mrs. Robert Hayes - possibly at Haysboro. Overton returned to the Donelson home. This was in 1790. Soon the report spread that Robards was coming for his wife. To avoid him Mrs. Robards went to Natchez in the winter of 1791, and at the request of Col. Stark, Jackson went with them - so Overton said - to keep off the Indians. Jackson returned to Nashville in May, 1791. Being reliably informed that Robards had procured a divorce he went back to Natchez and married Mrs. Jackson. Two years later the divorce was actually granted on the ground that Mrs. Robards "had been living with Andrew Jackson in adultery since their alleged or pretended marriage in November, 1791. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson were married a second time in 1794.
The scenes and incidents which took place here led to much war-like correspondence and to two personal encounters between Andrew Jackson and John Sevier. They led to the duel in which Dickinson was killed and in which Jackson received a wound from which he never fully recovered.
In the presidential campaign of 1828 Jackson's ante-nuptial conduct and marriage was considered equal to the need of something to offset his victories at Horseshoe and New Orleans. Then it was that Judge Overton, Jackson's friend, made a statement, the substance of which is given above.
The cabin office is which the two boys, Jackson and Overton, slept together stood near the pike in the southeast corner of the H. T. Wood yard. The road of that period was west of the cabin, as may be seen by the depression in the earth. The last surface marks of the cabin loose stones, etc. - were removed by Mr. J. W. Harris, who sold the place to Dr. Wood.
"Best Road to Louisville." - On the east of the pike, at its intersection with the road to Goodlettsville, may still be seen a stone bearing an inscription, now almost effaced but enough of it can be made out to show that it is one of the very few relics of earliest stage coach days when there was quite a settlement at this point. From the present location of the stone it might be owners of the line that went by Gallatin, though it may have been beside the Goodlettsville road and the Gallatin pike later constructed by it.
Edenwold was, in old times, the home of Reuben Payne. The late M. Burns owned the property at one time. It was purchased about ten years ago and greatly improved by W. G. Parmer, who uses it as a race horse nursery.
Casper Mansker first appears upon the page of Tennessee history as an organizer and leader of hunting and exploring parties from Reedy Creek and New River in Virginia to the region north of the Cumberland in Tennessee. On his first trip, which began, June 1, 1769, he and several companions ended their hunt in April, 1779 and took several canoes laden with furs from Roaring River to Natchez. Detained at Natchez until November by sickness Mansker did not get back to New River until he was almost ready to start on another journey to his section. This second trip will come later.
On his third, November, 1775, his party pitched tents at a sulphur spring, near the present site of Goodlettsville. Soon all but three of his party left him, but this did not discourage Casper. He began hunting on Sulphur Fork and Red River. On the banks of Red River he killed, so far as known, the first Indian killed by any of the early settlers of this section. Then, believing it was best to leave, he left.
He and all the other hunters who had been coming here for years has long desired to settle here, and Mansker led a party that arrived soon after Robertson's party came to plant corn in the spring of 1779.
"Mansco returned to the settlements, " says Haywood, "and in the fall conducted a number of families to this country, who settled at Bledsoe's Lick, Masco's Lick and at other places."
It seems from Haywood, though he does not distinctly say so, that Mansker had reached his Lick when Robertson, Rains and others came by there in December on their way to the Bluff. (Note -Haywood, 96, 97.)
It was to Mansker's Station, on land now owned by heirs of Peyton Roscoe, that Col. Donelson came with his family after abandoning his own station on Stones River. It was to this station also that Col. Donelson's Negro servant came, after swimming the river on a cold November day, with the news of the attack made on Capt. John Donelson and his party while gathering at Stones River, the first cotton crop grown in Middle Tennessee.
In 1782 or 1783, his fort having been destroyed, Mansker went up the creek a mile from his first venture and built a fort on the east side of the creek. To this station Col. Donelson's family returned from Kentucky in 1785; to this station Col. Donelson himself was hurrying in September, 1785, when assassinated, and it was here the family received the news of his death from two young men who were with him at the time.
"It was here, " says Putnam, "he (Mansker) had his experimental mill. He always insisted that "it was a coot mill-seat, only it hadn't much water."
In 1783 Mansker was elected "First Captain" by the Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions. In 1788 he and Maj. Kirkpatrick commanded a guard of 100 men from Davidson and Sumner Counties, who escorted twenty-two families by way of Knoxville and the Clinch Road into Sumner County. In 1790 Gov. Blount appointed Mansker Lieutenant-Colonel. "He commanded several expeditions against or in pursuit of the Indians, but he never marched by the side of his men. * * * By a motion of his hand he would caution his troops to 'follow him softly and at a little distance.' He never allowed anyone in the woods to go in advance, or, as he said, 'take away the scent from him''" (Note. - Putnam)
"He was a great woodsman and a mighty hunter, " says John Carr in his "Early Times," "one of the best marksmen I ever say shoulder a rifle. * * * No man among us knew better than he how to fight Indians.
"He possessed a handsome property, was fond of raising stock, and loved his gun as long as he was able to hunt. In his old age he would attend shooting matches and frequently took prizes when they shot for beef. He died where he built his second fort, on the east side of Mansker's Creek in Sumner County."
The land office records show that Mansker owned tow 640-acres grants on or near "Kasper' s Creek " and a 320-acre grant on Red River.
The First Brick House in Middle Tennessee was built by William Bowen in 1787, one mile from the pike up Mansker's Creek. Brick masons were brought from Lexington, Ky., to build it. The Bowen house still stands on the lands of the Roscoe heirs. Paul Dismukes, the head of the Dismukes family in this section, settled on the west bank of Mansker's Creek in 1809 and then built a part of the house still standing.