A plat for the Oakwood Park subdivision was filed in April of 1912. The boundaries were, on the north and south, Mile End, now Douglas Ave and Evanston. On the west and east, is North 4th, now Lischey Ave and the railroad tracks. It was reported in the Tennessean, in December of 1912, that 200 lots had been sold. That was more than half the lots in the subdivision. Seven houses had been built and fifteen more were under contract. The story reported that all saloons were prohibited from the neighborhood.
|Tennessean, December 15, 1912|
With the new year of 1913, Evanston Land Company began a campaign to sell Oakwood Park. Ads appeared weekly for the first few months. Lots could be purchased for "75 cents down and 75 cents per week." No interest ever, the ads proclaimed. City water, and natural gas was available in the community. There were nearby public schools. Many of the lots had large trees. Streets had been built, along with sidewalks. And the street car line was close. By the middle of summer of 1913, the ads slowed.
|Tennessean, February 21, 1913|
A newspaper photo in April of 1913 shows one of the new houses in the Oakwood Park. Though no address is given, this appears to be the house located at 1103 Lischey Avenue.
|1103 Lischey Avenue|
Today there is another neighborhood, a couple of miles to the north, that is called Oakwood Park. The subdivision there is Shephardwood and there is a street named Oakwood. Metro Nashville Government opened a park in the Shephardwood subdivision and borrowing from the street name, called it Oakwood Park.