Lieberman, Loveman & O'Brien, hardwood lumber company was located on Lindsley Ave. at the corner of Fillmore. The business started in 1878, by Simon Lieberman, Adolph Loveman, Andrew O'Brien.The company had a saw and planing mill and a box factory. Letterhead courtesy Metro Nashville Archives
The Edgefield and Nashville Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1874 with a capitol stock of $100,000. In 1875 the company began making furniture, woodwork, and wood carvings in the new factory on North First Street in Edgefield. By the 1890, the company employed about 400 workers and accounted for nearly 25% of manufacturing in Nashville. Melchior Thoni, a master woodworker from Switzerland, was employed by the company for 25 years. Thoni oversaw the building of the altar in Christ Church Episcopal on Broad Street and of the woodwork throughout the Arcade in downtown Nashville. Edgefield and Nashville Manf. Co. built all types of furniture and wooden fixtures for both businesses and homes. Many older homes in East Nashville today contain woodwork from Edgefield and Nashville Manf. Co. The company ended business after 1913. The Edgefield and Nashville Manf. Co. building was demolished in 1991.
Farming was big business in Davidson County in the late 19th century. Jere Baxter's Maplewood Farm was about six miles from the Nashville Public Square. Baxter raised cattle on his place and kept Clydesdale Horses, though he seemed to favor Shetland Ponies. Maplewood Farm, at one time, covered 1000 acres that ran from Maplewood Lane to Ben Allen Road. "First owned by Josiah Williams and his wife, the plantation had a saw mill, grist mill, blacksmith and carpenter shop and cloth weaving. The house stood at the end of the present Curdwood Blvd. The floors of the house were made of one inch thick walnut planks. About 1885, part of 'Maplewood' farm came into the possession of Jere Baxter, a lawyer and president of the Tennessee Central Railroad. He improved the farm and made it his home for several years. Later, he decided to turn his farm into a residential subdivision. A Mr. C. H. Gillock, from Vermont, was put in charge of the subdivision and lived on the land for many years. Thus the name of Gillock Street." (Information in quotes from Miss Betty Hadley.)
The Southern Methodist Publishing House had its roots in Philadelphia in 1789. Southern Methodists raised money through subscription and opened the publishing house on the Nashville Public Square in 1854. The building housing the concern burned in 1872 and soon after a new, larger building was erected on the site on the east side of the square. The publishing house operated from the building until 1906. The building, the late 1870's, also housed other businesses. Settle & Kinnard was a wholesaler of boots and Shoes operated by J. W. Settle and R. M. Kinnard rented space. Also in the building was Ewing, Bransford and Gaines Hardware Co. and Jenning and Goodbar, wholesale hats.
Bruno Hugo Stief was born in 1845 in Prussia and immigrated with his parents arriving in 1852 aboard the ship "Irma." The family had arrived Nashville by 1855 when his father became a naturalized citizen. B. H. Stief, is first found in the Nashville City Directory in 1865. Bruno was a watchmaker and his brother O. E. Stief, whose business was at a different location, was a jeweler and watchmaker. In January of 1869 he purchased a home on Hayes Street and he was married in March of that year to Fannie G. Fields. It was in 1872 that he purchased a lot and store building on Union Street near Market Street. The location is now part of the expanded Nashville Public Square. B. H. and his wife had no children and he died at age 45 on May 2, 1890. The following year a group of investors chartered the B. H. Stief Jewelry Company. The company continued in business until the 1960's when it was purchased by E. Jaccard Jewelry Co. of St. Louis and renamed it Stief-Jaccards.