|Little Sisters of the Poor - Postcard courtesy of Mike Slate|
|All About Nashville, Ida Clyde Clark, 1912|
|1908 Hopkins Atlas of Nashville - Nashville Public Library|
The map shows the location of both St. Columba Church and Little Sisters of the Poor in 1908, on opposite sides of Main Street between 5th and 6th (formerly Spring) Streets. (The map mistakenly labeled the church as St Columbia)
|St. Columba Church and Rectory, Main Street, Nashville. - (http://www.holynamenashville.com/)|
In March of 1916, a great fire burned through much of East Nashville, destroying many homes and buildings. St. Columba Church and School, and the Little Sisters of the Poor, buildings were all burned beyond repair.
|The Atlanta Constitution 23 Mar 1916|
|1916 Fire, Little Sisters of the Poor - TSLA, Samuel A. Weakley Papers|
The Catholic Church quickly rebuilt on the site of St. Columba, erecting a combination church and school and rectory on the Woodland Street side of the property. The new Church of the Most Holy Name was dedicated on March 25, 1917, almost one year to the day after the East Nashville fire. The Little Sisters did not rebuild in East Nashville. Instead a site was chosen in the 1700 block of Horton Avenue and a new building erected in 1916. Today the building on Horton Ave. is on the Register of Historic Places. It is no longer occupied by the Little Sisters of the Poor.
|Little Sister of the Poor, constructed 1916, Horton Ave near 18th. Photo is public domain, by Nyttend|