|Nashville 1937 aerial, Williams Collection, Metro Nashville Archives.|
This is a 1937 aerial of the Nashville public square and surrounding area.
Upper left are the street car barns. This building was used to house street cars until 1941, and buses until 1959. The car barns were torn down for the construction of James Robertson Parkway. Contrary to popular belief there were never any street car/trolley barns on rolling mill hill.
Upper center is the new 1937 Davidson County Courthouse and the 1897 City Hall. The city hall was demolished shortly after this photo was made. Above the courthouse is the new 1937 market house and city hall. The 1937 Courthouse and the 1937 Market House are still standing. Upper right is the Publishing House Block, built in the late 1870's and next is the City Hotel Block. The Publishing House Block was torn down in the early 50's for construction of the Victory Memorial Bridge and the City Hotel Block was demolished in 1976.
In the lower section of the photo, left to right, is the American National Bank building, also known as First National, Fourth and First National Bank , and First American Bank. It was built in 1916 at Fourth and Union and demolished about 1970 for the construction of a new First American Bank building. Next is the American Trust Building, built in 1906 as a five story building. An additional ten stories were added in 1925. The American Trust Building is still standing. The next building is the Stahlman Building built in 1907. Because of the demolition of three entire blocks of buildings between First and Third Avenues and Union Street and the Public Square, the Stahlman Building is now just across from the courthouse. And finally the Washington Manufacturing Building, standing in 2015, and built in the 1870's, is on the lower right.
If you are interested in reading more about Nashville's public square click on the link.